Monday, May 28, 2012

Time

One more school year under our belt. Next week, Moi will begin his sophomore year.  Where has the time gone? I was looking through some old pictures this morning; I sure miss those baby/toddler years. Fat little cheeks, no wrists or ankles...precious! Now he's as tall as I am; a most handsome young man. While I miss those early years, I am most proud of the man he is becoming. 

Life goes by too quickly. Days turn into weeks, weeks turn into months, and months into...decades. My granddaughter is graduating from kindergarten, my oldest grandson is going to be in the 6th grade, and my baby boy will be 3. 

On my dresser is a photo of myself and my great-grandmother; I must have been about 4 years old at the time. Four...that was 55 years ago, but it seems like just yesterday. 

So, where does the time go? 

It rests in photographs, letters, and in our memories. It lines the walls in beautiful frames, and fills the pages of family albums. Time can be found in boxes filled with 8mm reels, VCR tapes, and DVDs; cards, letters, and journals kept in dresser drawers, desks, or shoe boxes in the closet. It's found in the lines on the faces of those we love, in the old boots that sit next to the fireplace, the worn rocker/recliner, or the handkerchief in my dresser. 

In short, time never really goes anywhere. It sticks around reminding us of where we came from and the road we've traveled.

While antique shopping with Moi this weekend, I saw many photographs of men, women, and children that looked to have been taken in the early 1900's. Looking at them, I realized that even when we are gone and forgotten by those we have loved, time never forgets. 

Time - amazing.

4 comments:

  1. "Time never forgets"... This is a heart pulling post. I too live the reality that another year has come and gone... and never to be replicated. We can't go back, there are no redo's.
    I think time is a friend to those who live without regret, although I don't think our friend we call time will spare us any compassion... she just keeps track...

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...she just keeps track..."

    True, Floyd, but what is recalled from Time is our choice.

    When my grandmother died, her children had to choose a photo for her obituary. A specific photo was chosen because she had "...that __ eatin' grin." Funny, I didn't see that. I saw a woman of great strength, a woman who worked hard her whole life to raise her children and her grandchild - me. I saw a woman I loved very much. Time had obviously left them with a much different impression of her than it did me.

    Here's another perspective...

    "The Lord is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love. He will not always accuse, nor will He harbor His anger forever; He does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities. For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is His love for those who fear Him; as far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgressions for us." Ps. 103:8-12

    Time may not have the ability to forget, but God does.

    Thank You, Lord for Your grace and mercy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Time can make memories, sweet, bitter, or even bitter-sweet, all depending on who you are, who the people are in the memory, and what was going on. I look back over some of my memories and find that most are sweet. I have a few bitter-sweet memories mixed in, but thankfully I can see the good over the bad now more than I used to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bad does seem to have a louder voice than the good. When we receive who we are in Christ we recognize that, through Him, we can choose to turn a deaf ear to the bad. It blesses me to know that you are in that place.

    ReplyDelete