Saturday, July 23, 2011

The Queen of Flip Flops



My daughter, Emily, is "The Queen of Flip-Flops".  She is the only person I know who wears flip-flops all year long; it’s crazy! 
April, on the other hand, is more like my mother; she is rarely ever seen without her 3 - 4" heels.  She will be in my "Real Women Wear Heels" blog. 


When Emily finds a “favorite” pair of flip-flops, she tries to buy a pair in every color and she wears them until they fall apart - literally - then she’s on the lookout for her NEXT “favorite” pair. 


I have horrible feet!  Hang on now, I didn’t say they were ugly; they just hurt all the time.  I have spent hundreds (maybe thousands) of dollars over the past 10 years or so on doctor’s visits, prescriptions, orthotics, and trying to find the PERFECT shoe.  Merrell, Born, Clark, Acorn, Birkenstock, you name it and I’ve probably tried them.  To try to stay comfortable, I usually keep shoes all over the house so I can rotate them during the day.  Some days I luck onto just the right the combination; other days... 
Not long ago, I bought 2 pairs of 99 cent plain ol’ rubber flip-flops for our trip to Destin this past June.  The first morning we were there I woke up, swung my legs over the side of the bed, and slipped into my flip-flops--WoW!  WHAT?!?  You mean I’ve been paying $ XX.00 all these years for “comfortable” shoes when all I had to do was buy a pair of FLIP-FLOPS!  I could have bought 80 to 100 pairs for the price I’ve paid for 1 pair of the others!  What’s wrong with me?!?
Who invented flip-flops anyway?  If my friend Don reads this, he’ll have an answer for us all in seconds!  I could have looked it up myself I suppose, but the truth is – I DON’T CARE!  My love and respect for flip-flops have been RENEWED!!  Kisses and hugs to whoever you are!  You have made our lives simple, comfortable, and financially manageable (unlike the guy - and I’m sure it was a guy - who invented panty hose and spiked heels).  We salute you, flip-flop guy!
You know, I wore flip-flops most of my young life.  Somehow along the way I must have thought I had outgrown them…no matter, I don’t have time to linger when there’s work to be done.  Summer will be gone before we know it, (Thank You, Lord!) so I’ve got to get out there and buy up as many flip-flops as I can carry because once they’re gone, we won’t see them again until next May.   Don’t be surprised if you see me in January and I’m sporting 99 cent flip-flops. 
(Maybe Emily isn’t so crazy after all!)


me and my flip-flops :- )





8 comments:

  1. Well, having a bum ball of my left foot has left me in search, ok, actually my wife in search of the perfect pair of shoes to wear around the house. I have to change tennis shoes every couple of months. When she brought home a pair of leather Rainbow flip flops, I was in heaven... I'm not sure I know too many men my age wearing flip flops, but like you, I say, "Whatever"!

    Nice toe symmetry by the way...
    A great summer post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well... I must say, I am a tennis shoe person. I have a closet full of them like Emily's flip flops. I even have a nice sock tan to go with them. I rarely where flip-flops but just like you, My daughter meagan loves them too. She will buy every pair she sees and loves them, but she likes the ones with sparkles and diamonds and fancy ones. So, she is the one who got me to wearing them and yes they are very comfortable, if you can find the right pair. So, I agree Hats off the flip-flip guy, May God bless you and Emily, you are not crayzy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHAHA! I knew this would be a great post! And I can't wait to hear how you spin my high heels :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why thank you, Floyd, for the compliment regarding my "toe symmetry"! ;)

    Happy flip-flopping everybody!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love flipflops. For a while in college it was my tradition to wear a pair whenever I had a test, needless to say, I had some cold February mornings. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for visiting, Seth.

    I find I dress more for convenience these days. I always wear flip flops around the house whether it be June or January. Maybe you and I should get some of those toe socks to keep our feet warm this winter while wearing our flip flops! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It seems I was born with flip flops. When not going barefoot, I wear flip flops unless it's absolutely out of the question. Even my husband's disgust for what he calls "flippers" won't get me out of them. And like Emily, I will wear them year around. Glad you rediscovered your love for flip flops. They do say we become more like children the older we get, :).

    ReplyDelete