Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Vintage Toys

I love vintage; vintage furniture, vintage paper, linens, books, jars - basically everything - vintage.  If it has cracks or rust, I love it even more!  I especially love vintage children's patterns.  When my girls were little, I made their little dresses with pinafores and pantaloons.  Poor things, having to endure their mother's passion, but they were so precious I couldn't resist!


I love vintage toys, too, especially trucks.  The old metal toy trucks are really hard to find and in great demand.  When I see them reasonably priced, and the key word here is "reasonably", I usually snatch 'em up.  I'm seeing vintage trucks used  in all of the latest magazines to decorate bookshelves, coffee tables, etc.  I have a photo of a table setting that included an old dump truck holding silverware - I love that idea!  Here are photos of my own little vintage trucks...






Aren't they great!  Now, look at these little plastic cars, buses, and trucks; wouldn't they look cute on the top of cupcakes for a children's party?  I don't remember where I got these, but I am in love with them!  






Crib toys are another of my favorite things; in the 1920's and '30's they were called cuddle toys.  These were stuffed animals or dolls that did not have buttons or beads for eyes and any ribbon or string had to be sewn into place so as not to strangle or choke baby; for these reasons, these toys were considered safe for the crib.  

I ran across some vintage patterns for crib toys a few years ago and thought it would be fun to  make some for gifts...it quickly became an obsession.  I purchased one pattern, modified it to get the effect I was looking for and began to sew.  When I got tired of making elephants and puppies, I began using coloring book pages for patterns.  You can modify, increase the size, cut out the individual pieces (like the ears, tail, etc.), add a seam allowance, and you're good to go.  I ended up with about 20 or more of these little cuties; after giving many away, these are the ones I have left...





As you can see, my crib toys are made out of scrap fabric, vintage embroidered linens, vintage tablecloths, quilt tops, anything big enough for my designs.  I embroidered the name of each on their backside, their bellies, or the back of an ear.  Choosing names for each one of them has been great fun; I try to draw from some of the older names in my family tree to keep the vintage theme going.




Designing and making these critters has given me such pleasure, but not as much pleasure as giving them away.  They are as unique as the little ones who receive them.  We, too, are unique; designed by the Master; created to love and be loved.  Imagine the joy the Father had in creating us, His children; tiny hands and feet, little nose and lips, fashioning us in His image...  


As you go about your day, no doubt rushing to get from one place to the next, meditate on this...You were fearfully and wonderfully made; His masterpiece. His love is without condition and stretches throughout eternity.  If you are His child, your name is carved in the palm of His hand; you are His.  


What a beautiful picture!

4 comments:

  1. How amazing it must be for God to look upon His creation and admire His handy work. Imagine if your stuffed toys could talk back and disobey... That free will is a monster!

    It's good to hear from you again... I shouldn't be surprised of your extra skills! Giving is the best feeling... I agree, but taking isn't bad from a friend! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unlike God, I find it difficult to love unconditionally. There were times when I had trouble with a particular design and after much frustration it finally ended up in the trash. How blessed we are that God never gives up on us.

    Thanks so much, Floyd!

    ReplyDelete