Monday, February 20, 2012

Silence is Golden

Is it right to question God?


Whether it's right or wrong, I know God understands our hearts when we ask a question like this.  Remember, He is our Father; our Daddy.  The fact that we feel comfortable enough to climb up in His lap and ask the hard questions is proof of the amazing connection we can have with the very One who created us.


Right now so many in my circle of friends are dealing with loss, or impending loss.  More often than not, someone will ask the question, "Why?".  How can we, as mere mortals, answer a question as big as that?  The answer is, we can't.  We want so badly to do or say the right thing that will bring comfort and begin healing that we often say the wrong thing; sometimes we just need to be still.  


So why do we try?  Why do we continue to make feeble attempts to say anything at all?  


It's OK to just be silent, sit quietly, and pray.


Many years ago I had a young friend who lost her husband to cancer.  Because she was a good friend, I had the freedom to ask her "stupid" questions like "What should we do in these circumstances?".  She told me that as a Christian, she already knew exactly what the Bible said regarding loss, trusting God, faith, etc. and believed it with her whole heart.  What she really needed was someone to hold her, cry with her, hear others tell stories about her husband and smile with fond memories of him.  I've tried to remember this and apply it as much as possible; I have also drawn from my own  personal experiences of loss.   


A few weeks ago, one of my son's lost his half-brother in a motorcycle accident.  It was a devastating loss for that family.  This week a sweet little friend of mine lost her baby boy shortly after birth.  It is a horrible thing to have to bury a child, I know because I have also buried a child; a son.  


Anytime bad things happen, especially to children - our own children, we want to know why; we NEED a reason.  We somehow think that if we had a reason it would be easier to accept, it would ease the pain.  But would that really be the case?  The loss would still be felt, the hole in our lives would still be there.  


The only place I know to go from here is Isaiah 55: 8, "My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways, declares the Lord."


The bottom line for me is that there are some things we just have to accept by faith.


Let me assure you that regardless of how desperate your situation is, joy does come in the morning; we will see beauty in the ashes one day.  God's promises are true; you can trust Him.




Weigh In:
Because everyone's "love language" is different...I think it would be helpful for us to hear from those of you who have suffered loss.  What should we have done or said to you, during your time of grief, to make things easier?  What is the wrong thing to do?  









5 comments:

  1. I'm sorry for your recent loss and your losses in the past. I had no idea. I don't think there could be a worse loss than one's child. I can't imagine...

    I have no words to offer other than the one from scripture you quoted. I think it is all about faith and the seeking of God in the process. Who or What else can hold a breaking heart?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Floyd. Please pray for my friends; I cannot share their names here but God knows who they are.

    "The LORD your God is with you, the Mighty Warrior who saves.
    He will take great delight in you; in his love he will no longer rebuke you, but will rejoice over you with singing.” Zeph. 3:17

    This is one of my favorite scriptures. When all seems hopeless, I climb up in His lap and He sings to me a lullaby of hope and healing.

    He is Jehovah Rapha, the God who heals! Praise HIs name!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me personally, I don't want to hear the platitudes when I am in the moment that God is in control, that I just need to hang in there, that it's going to get better...I know all those things already and trust in them completely. I am with your friend, when I am in pain and dealing with a loss, I want someone just to be there, not to say anything trite because that's how those things feel in the moment. When I went and visited our friend who just lost her baby, I was careful to just be in the moment with her and not say those trite things that she already knows and trusts. She said them herself in the course of the conversation.

    Thanks for bringing this up. By talking to each other about these things, we can help each other minister better in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree; this can be a great time to learn from one another.

    Thanks for sharing baby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, there is a time to laugh, and definitely a time to be silent and just listen!

    ReplyDelete