Monday, February 13, 2012

Heartfelt School Day Memories






Do you remember the parties we used to have in school to celebrate Valentine's Day? I sure do. The first week of February was spent making and decorating envelopes made from construction paper. The day of the party we would walk around the room depositing valentines for each student in the envelope which, on this day, hung on the back of our chairs. We would take our envelopes home after the party and enjoy them. Once or twice we even covered and decorated a shoe box and cut a slit in the lid to receive the cards. I remember how much fun it was to see all the different kinds of cards; seldom did I ever get two that were alike.











I wish I could say that I had kept all of those cards, what a wonderful keepsake they would have made, but sadly I didn't. Because of my love for all things old, I have found myself collecting vintage valentines. I really love to see the original sentiments written on the back (I have even occasionally found a date or two written next to the signature). I love imagining who "Sam" might have been and who wanted him to be her valentine.









Kids are still having valentine parties and giving away little cards they have picked out themselves and scribbled their names on the back. I'm not sure how much longer this will last, but it would be a shame to think that by the time my grandchildren are my age they would not have these sweet memories to look back on.







Here are a few more of the vintage valentines I have been collecting. Maybe you'll see one you remember from your childhood; I hope it brings back heartfelt school day memories.





This is an interactive valentine.  If you pull the tab at the bottom, his tongue will go in and out and his eyes will uncross.  

Super cute!

I hope your day is spent with the people you love!
Happy Valentine's Day












And this, of course, is my favorite!

7 comments:

  1. Thanks, Pat...sweet memories indeed! Hope you and yours have a lovely Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They don't make Valentine's Day cards like they used to. These are precious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, April, they sure don't. Happy Valentine's Day to you and Stephen!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember those days as well. I also recall the little colored candy hearts that had little sayings on them. "Be My Valentine." I don't have any of them either, but it is fun to think about them. We really haven't changed that much since our youth. We older, wiser, more mature, but we still want to be wanted and needed. We still have a deep desire to have someone, "Be My Valentine."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I almost forgot! Happy Valentines Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...and make deposits in our love tank...you're so right, Floyd.

    Happy Valentine's Day to you, too!

    ReplyDelete