Monday, August 8, 2011

My Mother's Rules on Fashion


1)     ALWAYS wear a slip under a dress or skirt.  Every woman should own at least 1 white FULL slip and 1 white HALF slip; 1 black FULL slip and 1 black HALF slip.  White is to be worn under light colors and black for darker colors.

      2)   White is NOT worn BEFORE Easter or AFTER Labor Day.

      3)   Shoes should NEVER be a lighter color than your slacks.
      (i.e. white shoes/black slacks is a definite no-no)

      4)   Purses should ALWAYS match/coordinate with shoes.

     5)   NEVER leave the house without wearing lipstick and earrings.



6)   A little perfume goes a LONG way.

7)   Shoes should ALWAYS be polished.  Pay special attention to the HEELS of your shoes; they are the last thing seen as you walk away.

8)   ALWAYS leave the house with CLEAN underwear and a DIME in your shoe.

9)   LEARN to sleep in curlers and DON’T skimp on hairspray.

10) NEVER chew gum; you’ll look like a cow.



Lyma Clair


10 comments:

  1. Well, now I know where you got some of your rules. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man alive! I'm glad I'm not a girl!
    When I was a kid, we had polishing kits for our shoes that we wore to church. We also wore suits on occasion. It's a different world now, except that we still are guilty of looking like a cow when chewing gum...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure why my name isn't coming up? Or picture for that matter? Well, if you don't recognize the sarcasm it's me, Floyd. I'll try to figure out what's going on with the program. Although I could be the least qualified to do so!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The price of beauty!

    My husband said he had to polish his shoes every Saturday night for church on Sunday. He, too, had to wear a suit.

    Things really have changed, haven't they?

    And not necessarily for the better...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought you just wanted to remain anonymous after that chewing gum confession ;-P

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are good rules and should be taught to our children and grandchildren! Your mother was a saint!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man! Glad we've moved past all that!

    ReplyDelete